Many people will contemplate using fly rods when trout fishing in Alaska, but did you know that spinnerbaits are an overlooked and highly effective method for targeting the coveted game fish? And, although Afognak Wilderness Lodge will supply you with top-rated gear, to be extra prepared, you may want to pack an additional assortment of your best spinners for trout. There’s something to be said about having your favorite lures, even when guided by world-class Kodiak fishing charters. If you’re planning an Alaskan vacation that centers around angling, you’ve likely developed a preference for what to use, giving yourself an edge as you target our native species. However, if you’re new to the sport or want to add to your collection, we recommend taking a look below where we showcase some of the best spinning lures to use on Afognak Island.
A Top-Level Look at the Best Spinners for Trout
If you are reading this, there’s probably a good chance you’re familiar with spinnerbaits, but perhaps you’d like to learn more. “Spinners” broadly refer to a group of lures with a metal, spoon-shaped blade fixated onto them. When the lure is in retrieval, the resistance against the water causes the blade to spin, creating an enticing display that attracts fish visually and, through vibrations, felt from the movement. While these lures are used for many types of sportfish like bass, pike, and walleye, they are considered a go-to lure for trout and other salmonid species. Even though the concept is relatively simple, there are four basic design types.
The 4 Main Types of Spinners
- Standard inline spinner blades rotate around a straight wire and usually have a weight on them to make them heavy enough to cast a greater distance.
- Spinnerbaits are shaped like open safety pins and feature a lead head molded on the top using a swivel, with some variations utilizing multiple blades.
- Buzzbaits are similar to the first two but have a specially-designed propeller perfect for topwater presentations.
- Live bait spinners come in various styles, but the primary design feature is the use of worms or minnows set behind the blade.
The Best Spinners for Trout Fishing in Alaska
As you probably know, trout fishing in Alaska is one of the most popular reasons to visit Afognak Wilderness Lodge. Like all species, trout are most charmed by presentations and baits that mimic their natural prey. Therefore the best spinners for trout are lures that look like some smaller fish that trout eat. Without further ado, here are four of our favorites:
- Acme Phoebe Lure – Don’t let the small size fool you; rather, let it fool the fish. This authentic lure’s movements and vibrations will surely gain the attention of trout, and the streamlined design is perfect for tossing into tight eddies and structures with acute accuracy.
- Luhr Jensen Krocodile – This tried and true classic spinner delivers a realistic presentation and is an excellent option for bright sunny days.
- Joe’s Flies Short Striker – This unique lure is an innovative design that combines the attraction of a fly with a spinner’s strength.
- Panther Martin – Nearly synonymous with trout fishing, Panther Martin rarely disappoints with its expansive selection of top-rated spinners. Particularly effective in deeper streams, the blades and weights come in a few different sizes, allowing anglers to adapt to their surroundings readily.
The Only Alaska Fishing Resort in Afognak Island State Park
One of the most rewarding aspects of staying with Afognak Wilderness Lodge is that we are the only lodge or residence in the Afognak Island State Park. With such remote access to one of the most beautiful places in the world, it’s no wonder that visitors from all over come here to immerse themselves in our exclusive slice of paradise. For more information or to book your stay, please contact us online or call 360-799-3250.