Nestled in the heart of the breathtaking Kodiak Archipelago, Afognak Island is a testament to the remarkable diversity of Alaska wildlife. This pristine sanctuary boasts a thriving ecosystem where land mammals, sea mammals, land and sea birds coexist harmoniously. In this guide, we’ll embark on a journey to uncover the fascinating wildlife that shares their home with us near Afognak Wilderness Lodge.
- Kodiak Brown Bear: The island is renowned for its majestic Kodiak Brown Bears, the largest bears in the world. These magnificent creatures roam freely along saltwater beaches and salmon creeks, offering visitors an up-close encounter with the kings of the wilderness.
- Roosevelt Elk: Afognak Island serves as the exclusive Alaskan home for Roosevelt Elk. Early summer unveils herds of these remarkable creatures, with numbers ranging from 40 to 100. As summer progresses, hiking into the hills rewards you with awe-inspiring sightings.
- Sitka Blacktail Deer: The Sitka Blacktail Deer is a common sight on Afognak Island. They gracefully traverse lush forests, grassy hillsides, and serene beaches, often stopping by natural salt-licks as they go about their daily routines.
- Sea Lions: A short boat trip from the island opens a window to a world of sea lion wonder. With their playful antics on the island and surrounding waters, these charismatic marine mammals captivate the hearts of all who witness their roaring displays.
- Seals: Seal Bay is known for its spectacle of marine life. During May and June, female seals gather here to give birth and nurture their pups. These agile swimmers are often spotted in shallow rivers, chasing their next meal during the salmon runs.
- Sea Otters: Once heavily hunted, these friendly sea otters have made a remarkable comeback since the early 1900s. From the comfort of your dining room or guest cabin, you can witness these delightful creatures cracking clam shells open with rocks on their chests, showcasing their remarkable adaptability.
- Bald Eagles: Majestic and iconic, Bald Eagles grace Afognak Island’s skies, symbolizing freedom and strength. Their presence underscores the abundance of fish and wildlife in the region.
- Woodpeckers: The rhythmic drumming of woodpeckers resonates through the island’s forests. These avian architects make their presence known with their distinctive calls and impressive tree-carving skills.
- Varied Thrushes: Their enchanting melodies fill the air, making the island’s woods come alive with their beautiful and varied calls.
- Tufted and Horned Puffins: Known as “Sea Parrots,” these distinctive puffins are among the star attractions offshore. Their clownish antics and striking appearances make them a must-see for bird enthusiasts.
- Cormorants and Auklets: Along the coasts, you’ll encounter cormorants and auklets, adding to the impressive array of sea birds. These agile divers and skilled fliers are a testament to the diversity of life on Afognak Island.
- Loons, Petrels, and Shearwaters: These birds grace the ocean elegantly and provide an extraordinary spectacle for those lucky to spot them while exploring the island’s natural wonders.
Premier Alaska Lodging on the Kodiak Islands
Afognak Island, a haven for Alaska wildlife, offers an unparalleled opportunity to connect with nature and experience its untamed beauty. The island’s unique ecosystem, teeming with land mammals, sea mammals, land birds, and sea birds, invites visitors to explore the wonders of the wild. Afognak Wilderness Lodge offers the perfect basecamp for those seeking an awe-inspiring wildlife experience and a front-row seat in one of the world’s most beautiful places.
To find out more and to reserve your accommodations, please visit us online today.