Alaska nature offers arguably some of the most breathtaking photo opportunities in the nation, if not the world! A stay at Afognak Wilderness Lodge means you are not only surrounded by these stunning sights, but you have ample ways to explore them. Our all-inclusive resort puts you close to top spots for whale watching, trout fishing, and more. Photography is the best way to capture the nature and wildlife you encounter on your adventures and during your Alaska getaway.
A Checklist of Essential Photography Gear
To capture the best photos possible, you need to make sure you have the correct equipment. Whether you’re exploring on your own or joining a photography tour, you’ll want to make sure you have everything you need to get the best photos possible.
- One of the most important pieces of gear is your camera. Choosing a camera for nature photography can be more complex than the one you’d use for taking photos at things like birthday parties. We recommend a mirrorless or DSLR camera.
- A variety of lenses ranging in focal length, preferable from 24mm to 200mm
- Multiple batteries that are fully charged
- A memory card that is at least 16GB, but there’s no such thing as too many memory cards
- A sturdy tripod
- A backpack or bag that is weather-resistant to hold all your gear
- Comfortable shoes and proper clothing for that day’s weather
Before your tour, take the time to play around with your camera and lenses to make sure you are comfortable and knowledgeable of all its functions. This includes being familiar with shutter speed and aperture.
Capture Stunning Scenery on Your Alaska Adventure
Kodiak Island is a photographer’s dream for a reason. Whether you want to capture Alaska wildlife or landscapes, you’ll find plenty of photography opportunities near Afognak Wilderness Lodge.
Since 1974, our lodge has been a top resort for anglers, photographers, and adventurous vacationers. Start planning your escape to Afognak Island today by visiting us online or calling 360-799-3250.